This recipe for Creamy No Mayo Coleslaw is sponsored by Kemps®. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Serve this side dish with all your favorite summer recipes and fall in love with the classic, creamy texture!
Today we’re talking about coleslaw with no mayo that is still creamy, dreamy, and ready for your picnics, barbecues, and potlucks.
Some coleslaw has a vinegar base, which makes it easy to leave out the mayonnaise. But what if you still want it to have that classic, creamy texture?
This no mayo coleslaw gets its tang from real cultured sour cream and apple cider vinegar in the dressing. This is so easy to put together, requiring just eight ingredients and ten minutes!
Creamy no mayo coleslaw ingredients
- Sour cream
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper
- Coleslaw mix
How to make coleslaw without mayo
- Make the coleslaw dressing by whisking together sour cream, milk, apple cider vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the coleslaw mix and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
What kind of sour cream to use for coleslaw
Kemps® Sour Cream is always my favorite. I’m all about making delicious food with quality ingredients, and Kemps gets their high quality product from local farms close to home (in fact, Kemps is 100% family farmer owned)! The product’s perfectly creamy texture and consistency also makes its a clear winner in our household.
It’s always easy to find Kemps Sour Cream at the Festival Foods near my house, as well as every other store in town. Every time I walk into Festival Foods I feel like they’re doing it all just for me.
Everything is neatly arranged, the produce is the freshest quality, and they know what I like! I happened to bring the kids with me the day I picked up the ingredients for this recipe and they walked out with jello, cookies, and a slice of pizza, all on the house!
Seriously, if the kids are happy, I’m happy. And we were all definitely happy about this coleslaw recipe using the Kemps Sour Cream we snagged at Festival Foods.
What makes this the best no mayo coleslaw
Y’all know I’m a real mayo hater, so swapping it out for Kemps creamy Sour Cream was a no brainer! The consistency is spot on with ordinary coleslaw. Plus I love the fresh taste!
We’re keeping this recipe super easy by using packaged coleslaw mix. It’s just cabbage and carrots that you don’t have to shred yourself. That means you’ll have more time to spend at the pool, hanging out with your favorites, or cooking up an elaborate main dish to go with it!
Coleslaw is a real summer staple for serving alongside grilled foods or on top of BBQ jackfruit sandwiches. Please tell me you’re putting coleslaw in your sandwiches, because if not you’re really missing out!
Tips for customizing
- Use 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in place of the honey
- Skip the prepackaged slaw mix and instead shred 6 cups green cabbage and 1 cup carrots
- Swap the classic slaw mix for the same amount of broccoli slaw
- Use 1 teaspoon dried mustard or 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard in place of the dijon
- Use Kemps Light Sour Cream for a lighter version
- Halve the recipe if you’re not cooking for a crowd (Kemps also offers their Sour Cream in 16oz option!)
What to serve with my creamy no mayo coleslaw
- Walnut Burgers
- Vegetarian Lentil Meatloaf Muffins
- BBQ Tempeh Stuffed Baked Potatoes
- Cajun Tofu Wraps
- Lentil Veggie Burgers
- Black Bean Burgers
- BBQ Tofu
More side dish recipes
- Vegetarian Cornbread Stuffing
- Vegetarian Stuffing
- Potato Wedges
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
- Vegan Orzo Pasta Salad
- Vegan Potluck Barley Salad
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Creamy No Mayo Coleslaw
- 1 cup Kemps Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 28 ounces coleslaw mix
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, apple cider vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the coleslaw mix to a large bowl and pour the sour cream mixture over the top. Stir to combine completely.
- Chill the coleslaw at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.