Thank you Decoy for sponsoring this Easy Minestrone Soup Recipe. Celebrate International Merlot Month this October by using the hashtag #MerlotMe on social!
The leaves are falling, pretty much everything is pumpkin spiced, and we’re making soup! Welcome to fall.
Minestrone is one of my favorite vegetarian/vegan soups. It is so incredibly easy to throw together, is completely warm and comforting, and the combination of flavors can’t be beat.
What does minestrone soup have in it?
Minestrone soup contains a few simple ingredients:
- Vegetables – I like onions, tomatoes, and spinach
- Beans – in this case red kidney beans and great northern beans
- Broth – Use the best quality vegetable broth for maximum flavor
- Pasta – Sometimes, but not this time!
How do you make the best minestrone soup?
You’ll want to soften your onions over medium heat for a few minutes before adding the garlic. Next add tomatoes, beans, and broth, followed by spinach, salt, and pepper. That’s really it!
What kind of pasta is in minestrone?
If you want to add pasta, I recommend medium shells, elbow macaroni, or ditalini. You can add the pasta already cooked to the finished soup or cook it right in the simmering broth for an extra thick soup.
I wanted to make this easy minestrone soup recipe because I had a few bottles of this Decoy Merlot and knew they would make the perfect pair. Everyone else might be picking apples and carving pumpkins, but I think fall is a time to celebrate the grape!
October is International Merlot Month. You can participate by pouring some Merlot in your glass, using the hashtag #MerlotMe on social media and visiting MerlotMe.com!
This easy minestrone soup recipe can be easily customized. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add pasta as described above
- Place the rind of a vegetarian parmesan cheese wedge in the broth while it simmers, remove before serving
- Serve topped with a sprinkling of freshly grated vegetarian parmesan cheese, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes
- Serve with a sandwich such as my goat cheese and veggie sandwich
- Use whatever vegetables you have on hand such as zucchini, kale, celery, or carrots
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Easy Minestrone Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 15 ounces canned great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces canned dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and excess moisture squeezed out
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Lower the heat to medium and add the tomatoes. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and beans. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the salt, pepper, and spinach, breaking it up as you drop it in the pot. Serve immediately or let simmer on low for several hours.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with crusty bread.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.