Homemade Milano Cookies are a decadent treat you probably didn’t know you could make at home!
One thing leads to another.
You’re sitting on the couch editing photos thinking, “I’ll turn on HBO for a few minutes while I finish this up.” Next thing you know you haven’t edited a single photo but you’ve watched all but the last ten minutes of Pitch Perfect while letting the laptop battery die in your lap.
When I say you? I mean me.
And those last ten minutes? Bathroom break. You lied to me, HBO. You said the movie would be over at ten. Now I won’t know what happened until you play the same movie again tomorrow.
Before I know it a little background noise has led to a dead laptop and a bunch of work backed up. But I’m leading you to these cookies, you’ll see.
When you made this ice cream, did you save the egg whites? Are you looking for another use for the rest of your chocolate ganache? Your moment has arrived. Leftovers were meant to become these homemade Milano cookies.
Homemade Milano cookies make the perfect companion to morning coffee or afternoon tea. Thin, crispy cookies sandwich around a tiny smear of chocolate ganache. I recommend eating them slowly to savor the sweetness, otherwise it’s way too easy to eat more than intended.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Homemade Milano Cookies
- 12 tablespoons butter,, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 recipe chocolate ganache
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until light. Add the sugar and beat until creamy and thoroughly combined.
- Add the egg whites on low speed one at a time, then mix in the vanilla. Add flour admix until just combined.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a 1/4" plain tip or a large plastic storage bag with a corner cut off, pipe 2 inch sections of batter onto the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on he baking sheet before removing to a wire rack.
- Place ganache in a piping bag fitted with a 1/4" plain tip or a large plastic storage bag with a corner cut off and pipe a thin strip of ganache down the middle of the underside of one cookie. Top with another cookie and press together lightly to fill the cookies to the edges. Repeat with remaining cookies. Store finished cookies in the refrigerator until ready to eat.