Healthy taco seasoning is easy to make from scratch with just 8 simple pantry ingredients in 5 minutes! If you’re making your favorite Mexican recipes at home, they’ll taste so much better with this taco seasoning than a store bought packet!
I don’t make a ton of things from scratch any more, but when it’s this easy, how could you not? Making taco seasoning from scratch takes hardly any time at all, and lets you customize it to your tastes!
Why this healthy taco seasoning is the best
By going the DIY route, you’re skipping any sugar, preservatives, or other unrecognizable ingredients that might be in your store bought spice mix.
This is a fairly mild taco seasoning recipe, so if you have kids at home like I do it’s a great way to control the heat in your recipes. If you want it spicier, just add more or adjust it to your tastes!
Everything you need to know
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Ground cumin
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
How to make taco seasoning from scratch
Mix all the spices together in a small bowl. That’s it! It’s so easy.
How to store homemade taco seasoning
I like to store my seasoning in a small mason jar (affiliate link to the one seen here) in a dry, dark place like a cupboard. Any airtight container should work.
If using fresh spices to mix up your taco seasoning, it should stay good in your airtight container for at least one year.
How to use it
Mushroom walnut taco meat is my favorite way to use my healthy taco seasoning, but you can add it to taste to anything you want to have a taco flavor such as tempeh, tofu, beans, fake meat, or taco dip!
For a saucy taco mix, combine 3 tablespoons tomato paste, 4 tablespoons water, and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning before adding to your recipe. You can use this technique to make my vegan tempeh tacos!
Tips for customizing
- Add more chili powder and cayenne pepper to make it spicier
- Include ½ teaspoon dried Mexican oregano to make more of an enchilada seasoning
- Skip the mixing bowl and just shake up all the spices in your mason jar
- Skip the garlic powder and add fresh garlic to your recipes in addition to the taco seasoning
More homemade essentials
Healthy Taco Seasoning
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 3 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ Tablespoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- In a small bowl, add all ingredients and stir to combine. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place until ready to use to season tofu, beans, dip and more.