This Spicy BBQ Sauce will be your new favorite condiment!
Why hasn’t anyone made BBQ soup? Just one big bowl of BBQ sauce. There are probably health reasons for that.
After trying Tieghan’s BBQ sauce (that tastes just like my favorite Sweet Baby Ray’s!) I was blown away by how good it was.
The only downside to it was that I seriously couldn’t stop eating it. Like it was soup.
I just wanted to put it in a bowl, put a spoon to my lips, and fall in love. How could I slow myself down without needing to have actual willpower? Spice it up.
This spicy BBQ sauce is just that – spicy. At first you get the sweetness of the pineapple juice and ketchup, and then all the spices start to warm your mouth and tingle your throat.
You can absolutely cut back on the spices if you’re not so tolerant but I recommend trying it both ways at least once.
As a vegetarian I struggle with what to put my beloved BBQ sauce on, but I’ve come up with a few winners! I recommend trying this BBQ Chickpea Salad with Cornbread Croutons and my BBQ Tempeh Stuffed Baked Potatoes.
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 cup cold water mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients except the cornstarch mixture in a medium sized sauce pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and reduce to a simmer for five minutes or until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture and simmer until desired thickness is reached, a few more minutes. Serve immediately or transfer to a covered container and store in the fridge.