These Oven Roasted Carrots with Thyme make a healthy side dish for weeknight dinners and Thanksgiving alike!
It’s here guys, the cheapest, easiest Thanksgiving side dish you’ll ever meet.
We’re using only five ingredients (which INCLUDES oil, salt, and pepper!) and cranking out this recipe for oven roasted carrots with thyme in about 30 minutes. This will leave you with plenty of hands on time for homemade dinner rolls, stuffed shells, lentil “meatloaf”, or whatever beautiful creation you’re rocking at your vegetarian Thanksgiving!
I actually prefer cooked carrots over raw because they come out so sweet and don’t require all that crazy chewing. Isn’t that the ultimate in laziness? I don’t even want to CHEW so much.
I like the look and ease of cutting the carrots in half down the middle. If you have exceptionally large carrots, you may want to cut them in half again so they’ll all cook at the same rate.
How long do you roast carrots at 400 degrees?
Roast carrots for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees. This will vary depending on the size of your carrots and how crisp tender you like them. I like them pretty soft all the way through with a little brown caramelization on the edges, so you may want to start checking them at 25 minutes if you prefer them less well done.
What herbs go well with roasted carrots?
Thyme is the perfect herb to pair with roasted carrots. I recommend fresh thyme for the best flavor. If using dried thyme, decrease the amount by half. You could also substitute rosemary or Italian seasoning.
Do you peel carrots before roasting?
I like the crisp look of peeled carrots with the ends trimmed, but you can save time by skipping this step. It won’t negatively affect the taste or texture of your carrots to leave them unpeeled and ends in tact.
These oven roasted carrots with thyme can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- If you can’t find tricolor carrots you can use all orange
- Slice the carrots into bite size chunks on a diagonal instead of in half before roasting
- Drizzle cooked carrots with honey before serving
- Add 2 tablespoons honey to the carrots before roasting for more of a glazed carrot
- Swap the thyme for chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Oven Roasted Carrots with Thyme
- 10 carrots peeled, trimmed, and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme stems removed
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Arrange carrots in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet or in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and use your hands to rub the oil around to coat the carrots. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Roast carrots for 30-35 minutes until fork tender and beginning to brown.