If you’re struggling with how to stock your vegetarian pantry, this post will show you all the staples you can build off of to always be prepared!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases. All opinions are my own.
Stocking a vegetarian pantry is important whether you’re on day one of being vegetarian or just want to be prepared for any situation. Having a well stocked pantry full of essentials will allow you to make fewer trips to the grocery store and set you up for easy to make, delicious meals.
I’m sharing what’s always in my pantry, organized into a few basic categories, as well as a few bonus items that I would never go without. This list looks a little different than some of the other vegetarian pantry lists out there because I’m being super realistic about what I use and what I don’t.
If you’re someone who cooks with farro frequently, you would definitely want it in your pantry at all times. I don’t, so it’s not! Everyone’s list will look different, and as you cook more at home you’ll learn what you just can’t do without.
I’ve tried to include affiliate links for some of the products that might be new to you, so even if you don’t purchase online you’ll have an idea of what you’re looking for in the store.
- Rice – Brown and White
- Pasta – Spaghetti, Penne, Lasagna, etc.
- Rice Noodles
- Panko Breadcrumbs
Nuts and Seeds
- Nuts – Peanuts, Cashews, Almonds, Walnuts, Pecans, Pistachios, Pine Nuts
- Chia Seeds
- Flaxseed Meal
Canned and Jarred Goods
- Canned or Dried Beans and Lentils – Garbanzo, Black, Pinto, Great Northern
- Canned Coconut Milk
- Canned Diced Tomatoes
- Canned Whole San Marzano Tomatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Marinara Sauce
- Nut Butter (Peanut, Almond, Cashew)
- Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Dry Yeast
- Almond Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Confectioners’ Sugar
- Chocolate Chips
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cocoa Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter or Dairy Free Butter (store in the freezer for longer life)
Sturdy Fruits and Vegetables
- Sweet Potatoes
Oils and Condiments
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Mustard – Dijon, and a stronger flavor such as Chipotle or Grainy
- BBQ Sauce
- Pesto (store in the freezer for longer life)
- Salsa – I always have 2-3 kinds!
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Soy Sauce or Tamari
- Coarse Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Thyme
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Nutritional Yeast
- Veggie Burgers
- Hamburger Buns
- Frozen Spinach
- Frozen Fruit or Smoothie Packs
- Tortilla Chips – Enjoy with salsa, make nachos, crumble over salads
- Bread – Whole Wheat and Sourdough
- Tortillas – Corn and Flour
- Cheese – Mozzarella and Monterey Jack or Cheddar, shredded and sliced
- Avocados – They go with everything!
Recipes featuring vegetarian pantry ingredients
These recipes are made almost entirely out of vegetarian pantry staples. They could easily handle a few substitutions if you can’t find an ingredient or wanted to leave it out.
Did I miss anything you think is essential? Add it to the comments!