This vegan dish of Spinach and White Beans is easy enough for a weeknight meal and delicious enough for a holiday!
Today I’m updating another old favorite that we eat frequently, but is still fancy enough to find a spot on your Thanksgiving table.
I try to eat a lot of spinach because it’s high in iron. As a general non-meat eater, I’ve found it’s really important to keep an eye on my iron intake. Aside from cooking as much as possible in my cast iron skillet (umm, hi chickpeas!), spinach it is!
This recipe for spinach and white beans is one of my go-to veggie side dishes. Its equally as easy as roasted broccoli and surprisingly delicious.
I make this most often to accompany a very plain pasta dish (such as mac and cheese or spaghetti aglio olio) that doesn’t give us any protein or veggies. This side dish does both!
Packed with nutrition, the spinach and beans get loads of flavor from the garlic and hint of nutmeg. The dish comes together in less time than it takes to make a box of mac and cheese, so its perfect for those busy nights.
If you have a big family, I would double or triple this recipe. My husband and I could almost eat this whole batch in one sitting (but we’re kind of pigs).
Even though I make this the same way every time, this recipe can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes for a little spice
- Try using other cooked leafy greens such as bok choy or mustard greens
- This recipe for spinach and white beans is already vegan and gluten-free, so no need for substitutions there!
- Use as a filling for spinach and white bean grilled cheese with lots of creamy fontina
- Add an extra drizzle of olive oil and toss with leftover spaghetti noodles
Even if you think you don’t like spinach, give this a try. I think you’re going to be really surprised!
As always, if you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email. This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I make a small commission off the sale, which helps me continue providing you recipes!
Spinach and White Beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves,, chopped
- 10 ounces boxed frozen chopped spinach
- 14 ounces canned white beans, (like cannellini or great northern), rinsed and drained
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave according to package directions. Place in a kitchen towel and wring it of excess moisture.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until a pale blonde color. Add the beans then the spinach, breaking it up as you add it to the pan. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Serve hot.