This Cheesy Spinach Baked Egg Sandwich is so easy and flavorful!
I’ve gone through a few breakfast phases in my life, never to return to them again.
When I was a kid I remember eating granola bars every morning for breakfast. How did I get away with that? Its basically a candy bar.
When I first got into eating healthier and working out (also known as the time right after I got chunky working at a desk and took full advantage of “bagel day” once a week) I had a bowl of microwaveable oatmeal every morning.
Morning sickness threw oatmeal out the window, to be replaced with pretzel sticks and ginger ale. Yikes.
Now I can’t stop with the Greek yogurt, honey, fruit, and granola. Currently strawberries are in season and they’re so sweet and juicy that I want to go to bed right now just so I can get up and enjoy how they turn my creamy yogurt the faintest shade of pink. Also my amazing mother in law just bought me the most beautiful honey crock, so how could I not use that every day?
A Cheesy Spinach Baked Egg Sandwich may be the vixen that lures me away from Greek yogurt for breakfast. These are just waiting in the wings for their time to shine. Bake them up at night to have a handy breakfast sandwich ready for everyone in the morning or serve them for dinner. They’re pretty tiny so you can absolutely eat two, or serve them at a brunch alongside tiny balls of cantaloupe and your grandma’s famous coffee cake.
One may call me crazy for putting breadcrumbs on a sandwich. Buuut, they’re totally necessary and delicious. They take things to a whole other level.
Fontina is creamy and slightly salty. Gruyere would be a fine substitute (or addition, you cheese lover, you). Spinach wilts perfectly beneath the eggs but feel free to experiment with other greens you enjoy and use whatever amount you have on hand.
I like my eggs to be just barely solid through the center and achieved this by baking them for 18 minutes. No runny yolks and no bright yellows to be found. If you like your eggs runny be sure to check them every few minutes starting about 15 minutes into the cook time and remember that all ovens vary. You can tell how done they are by jiggling the pan gently. This might be your first rodeo, but it’s not your first horse. You know how you like your yolks. Go with it.
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
Cheesy Spinach Baked Egg Sandwiches
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 8 ounces fontina cheese,, freshly grated
- 8-10 large eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove,, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- Fresh parsley,, chopped
- 8-10 whole grain ciabatta rolls,, toasted and buttered
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Place the spinach in an even layer in the baking dish. Add about half the grated cheese, then crack the eggs over the top, spacing them out evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle the heavy cream over the top. Top with the remaining cheese. Place in the oven for 15-25 minutes, checking every few minutes towards the end for desired doneness.
- While the eggs are baking, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. As it begins to bubble, whisk constantly until little brown bits begin to form on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and whisk for an additional 30 seconds, then let stand for 2 minutes. Whisk in the minced garlic, then stir in the panko until well coated.
- Once the eggs are done, remove them from the oven and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and chopped parsley. Scoop one egg onto each toasted bun and serve.