This peanut butter cup banana nice cream is a healthy summer treat, and uses only 3 simple ingredients!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases. All opinions are my own.
The only thing better than dessert is healthy dessert!
I’m a huge dessert lover, but I don’t always love how it makes me feel. A blood sugar crash, a stomach ache, and a headache are just a few side effects I’ve felt from overindulgent desserts.
Still, I don’t want my healthy dessert to taste healthy, you know? I still want a little sweetness and satisfaction. Luckily, we’ve got banana nice cream for that!
I call it peanut butter cup nice cream because it has the same flavors as a peanut butter cup, but there aren’t actually any candy pieces in there. It’s just frozen bananas, peanut butter, and chocolate chips. That’s it! It really couldn’t get any easier.
- Peanut butter
- Milk chocolate chips
How to make peanut butter cup banana nice cream
- Peel the banana and cut it into 2 inch chunks. Place in a freezer bag or on a plate and put in the freezer for several hours, or until frozen.
- Place the frozen banana in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer to a freezable container and stir in peanut butter and chocolate chips. Cover and return to the freezer until firm, several hours or overnight.
How to ripen bananas
You’ll want fully ripened or even over-ripe bananas for this recipe. To speed up the ripening process, keep the bananas in a brown paper bag, folded over at the top.
The bananas should ripen within a day or two. You can add an apple to the bag to speed this up even more. This is because apples and bananas give off ethylene gas as they ripen, which further encourages nearby fruits to ripen.
The best food processor for making nice cream
I like my Cuisinart 14 cup food processor for making nice cream and many other recipes. It’s powerful and has plenty of room to make several servings if desired.
Make it vegan
All you need to do to make this recipe vegan is to choose vegan chocolate chips. Everything else is naturally vegan!
How to store banana nice cream
Banana nice cream can be kept in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips for customizing homemade banana ice cream
- Add a small splash of vanilla extract with the bananas
- Stir in chopped mini peanut butter cups
- Fully mix the peanut butter in at the end in the food processor
- Use mini chocolate chips, chocolate flakes, or chocolate sprinkles instead of regular chocolate chips
- Use almond butter instead of peanut butter, and chopped almond butter cups instead of chocolate chips
Nice cream is ice cream made out of bananas instead of dairy products. It’s cold and creamy like ice cream, with a faint flavor of bananas. You can flavor it in ways similar to regular ice cream.
This recipe is easy to double, triple, or even quadruple. Simply use the slider in the recipe card to easily find the quantities.
Most food processors can easily handle 4+ bananas at a time. Just make sure they’re in small pieces or it may take a long time to blend. This would give you a more melted texture than fluffy ice cream texture.
More healthy treats
- Chewy Peanut Butter Bites
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Balls
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites
- Larabar Chocolate Brownie Bites
- Cardamom Rose Energy Balls
- Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Balls
- Peanut Butter Larabars
- Strawberry Sorbet
- Cantaloupe Popsicles with Dates
- Pumpkin Seed Butter Cups
- Vegan Cookie Dough Bars
If you make this recipe, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Peanut Butter Cup Banana Ice Cream
- 1 Banana
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Milk Chocolate Chips
- Peel banana and cut it into 2 inch chunks. Place in a freezer bag or on a plate and put in the freezer for several hours or until frozen.
- Place banana in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a freezable container. Stir in bits of peanut butter and chocolate chips to taste. Cover and return to the freezer until firm, several hours to overnight.