This Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sandwich takes grilled cheese to a whole new level! It’s easy to make with fresh mozzarella, tomato slices, pine nuts, and store bought or homemade sun dried tomato pesto.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases. All opinions are my own.
How do you feel about an easy grilled cheese sandwich for dinner? What if I told you it had grown-up flavors like fresh mozzarella and sun dried tomato pesto?
This sandwich recipe is ready in just minutes, giving you a warm, comforting lunch or dinner. Serve with kale chips or baby carrots for a healthy veggie side!
- Whole grain bread
- Fresh mozzarella
- Sun dried tomato pesto
- Tomato slices
- Pine nuts
When a recipe is this simple, good ingredients make all the difference.
I recommend choosing the best quality bread you can find. I usually choose something from a local bakery or I also enjoy some of the Market Pantry bread at Target.
I used two different kinds of bread for the photos in this post, and they both worked great. A hearty bread helps hold up against all the moisture in the pesto, cheese, and tomatoes.
I’m totally obsessed with this pesto. I want to put it on everything and it’s mother. That is an affiliate link, but I’m definitely not being paid to say that.
Of course you could also use homemade sun dried tomato pesto!
How to make a sun dried tomato pesto sandwich
- Spread pesto on one slice of bread
- Top with pine nuts, tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella
- Top with another slice of bread
- Place on an oiled grill or panini press, then lightly drizzle the top of the sandwich with olive oil and close the press
I make all my grilled sandwiches on my Cuisinart Griddler. I’ve had one for years and was just gifted a replacement because I used the first one so much!
What if I don’t have a panini press?
A panini press like the Griddler gets the middle hot and the outside crispy, which is difficult to do in a frying pan. If you only have a pan to work with, I recommend loosely covering with a lid while cooking to help retain heat in the middle of the sandwich.
Tips for customizing
- Use whatever cheese you have on hand like cheddar, manchego, or fontina
- Skip the pine nuts or incorporate them into your pesto
- Use your favorite bread such as sourdough, whole grain, or white
- Add a layer of protein such as balsamic tofu, white beans, or chicken for meat eaters
More grilled cheese recipes
- Oven Roasted Tomato and Pesto Panini
- Cheesy Hummus and Veggie Panini
- Harissa Grilled Cheese
- Butternut Squash and Sage Pesto Grilled Cheese
- Eggplant Panini
This post was updated in May 2020 with new photos and additional details about the recipe.
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Panini
- 2 slices whole grain bread, (I like Market Pantry brand)
- 1-2 tablespoons sun dried tomato pesto
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts
- 3 tomato slices
- 3-4 slices fresh mozzarella
- Preheat a griddle or panini press to high. Spray it lightly with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Spread one slice of bread with the pesto, then sprinkle with pine nuts and top with tomato slices and fresh mozzarella. Top with the other slice of bread, place the whole sandwich on the hot grill, and close the top.
- Grill 3-4 minutes or until browned and crisp on the outside and melty on the inside. Remove from the grill and let rest a few seconds before cutting and serving.