Banana coconut muffins bring a bright flavor to breakfast time! These flavorful muffins are ready in less than 45 minutes and will be your new breakfast or brunch favorite.
Ok it has seriously been forever since I posted a muffin recipe.
Muffins used to be my favorite and my only, but they fell out of vogue for a while because of their sugar crash carb-y nature. Maybe if I only ate one I would have such a crash a few hours later, but who eats just one muffin?!
These banana coconut muffins are tender with a toothy bite from the coconut. Coconut oil adds a double punch of coconut, but if you don’t have any on hand feel free to use melted, cooled butter.
I’m a huge fan of using half wheat/half white flour in my muffins and quick breads. I only had white flour on hand the day I made these, but I think they would really benefit from the nuttiness that wheat flour provides.
As with just about any muffin, they would also benefit from the addition of chocolate chips. I recommend up to a half cup of mini chocolate chips.
What’s your favorite kind of muffin? How do you prevent the inevitable sugar crash? Let me know in the comments!
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Banana Coconut Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter,, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, (about 2-3 large bananas)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chipped unsweetened coconut,, plus extra for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the coconut oil and mix. Add the egg, milk, vanilla, and mashed bananas to the mixture and mix well. Gently fold in walnuts and coconut.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the muffin cups. Top with extra coconut if desired. Bake 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.