Banana Oat Muffins with Ultimate Crumble Topping are just how they sound – over the top and delicious! These are the best banana muffins I’ve tried thanks to chocolate chips, cinnamon, and a nutty graham cracker topping.
Banana oat muffins are about to get even better than you thought thanks to the best crumble topping you’ll ever find!
Heaven knows I’ve made my share of banana muffins before, so I wanted to try changing it up a little bit. I had been seeing graham cracker muffins all over the place lately, so I crushed some up and threw them into the topping.
By the time I added some sugar, chopped nuts, and more chocolate, things were getting a little ridiculous. This crumble topping is the ultimate.
Use it on the muffins or eat it straight out of the bowl for dessert. Of course you can leave the banana muffins uncrumbled, but then you would just have a healthy oat muffin, which just isn’t as fun, right?
If a healthy banana muffin is what you’re after, consider this one by Cookie + Kate.
Banana oatmeal muffin ingredients
- All-purpose flour
- Whole wheat flour
- Old-fashioned oats
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Light brown sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Graham crackers
These banana oat muffins can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Leave off the crumble topping entirely to save a few calories and a bit of work
- Swap rolled oats for the crushed graham cracker
- If you don’t have applesauce on hand, substitute the same amount of vegetable oil
- If you don’t have whole wheat flour just use all-purpose flour
More muffin recipes
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Apple Spice Muffins
- Pistachio Rose Muffins
Banana Oat Muffins with Ultimate Crumble Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a muffin pan with cooking spray or paper liners. Set aside.
- To prepare the crumble topping, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl with a fork. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar. Add the milk, applesauce, vanilla, and banana. Combine but do not over mix. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared muffin cups. Top with the crumble topping, pressing down gently to adhere it to the batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.