A rich, fluffy, vegan chocolate mug cake that’s naturally sweetened and ready in two minutes!
I can’t believe I’ve been ignoring mug cakes all this time!
Single serving dessert recipes are kind of my thing, but this is the first mug cake recipe I’ve made myself. Cake hovers near the (still awesome) bottom of the dessert tier for me, always below cookies and brownies. I just love that chew!
I don’t know what I was thinking though, because this chocolate mug cake can definitely hold it’s own against any of my favorite dessert recipes. It is so. freaking. fast. Not to mention easy and naturally sweetened!
Chocolate mug cake ingredients
This microwave chocolate cake uses no eggs, just my classic combination of coconut oil and maple syrup, mixed with plant based milk, flour, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and baking powder. We’re also adding mini chocolate chips because, duh, CHOCOLATE.
How to make a chocolate mug cake
- Melt the coconut oil in the mug by microwaving for 30-60 seconds.
- Use a fork to whisk in the maple syrup, plant milk, and vanilla. It might be a bit lumpy.
- Add all the dry ingredients except chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Mix in half the chocolate chips, then top with the remaining chips (affiliate link to my favorite vegan chocolate chips, Enjoy Life).
- Microwave for 50 seconds.
I absolutely love that everything gets mixed up in the mug you’re going to eat it in. Most mugs should be big enough for the finished cake, just keep in mind it will rise by about 30% as it bakes in the microwave.
This vegan chocolate mug cake recipe can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Skip the chocolate chips and drizzle the baked cake with an icing made of powdered sugar mixed with just enough plant milk and a splash of vanilla to make a drizzle
- You can use regular milk in place of the plant milk if you don’t need it to be dairy free (not vegan)
- Top with leftover sweet potato frosting
- Add a pinch of cinnamon for a Mexican chocolate mug cake
Looking for more single serve vegan dessert recipes?
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie for One
- Edible Brownie Batter
- Vegan Cookie Dough for One
- Vegan Brownie for One
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie Dough for One
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Vegan Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1.5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- In a microwave safe mug, stir together coconut oil, maple syrup, plant milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and stir until incorporated. Stir in half the chocolate chips if desired.
- Smooth out the top and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips, if desired. Microwave 50 seconds. Remove from the microwave and let rest 1 minute before enjoying.