I probably should have named January Healthy Sandwich Month.
Why not start now? Welcome to the final installment of Healthy Sandwich Month! We’ve already gotten our omega-3’s with the Lemon Dill Salmon Wrap and eaten everything green and delicious in the Deep Green Sandwich. Now we’re going to keep the protein high and clean out the crisper (do people still call it the crisper? The drawer in the refrigerator? Someone please tell me you know what I’m talking about…) with this white bean hummus and veggie wrap.
Hummus is kind of hit or miss for people, but if it freaks you out I encourage you to give this one a try. It’s made with white beans so it’s even creamier than traditional chickpea hummus, plus I added some herbs and seasonings that make it taste like ranch dressing. So, yeah, you’re basically having a salad drenched in high-protein ranch dressing and wrapping it up in a tasty tortilla.
Broccoli slaw makes adding veggies to the wrap super easy because everything is all cut up for you. I didn’t know broccoli slaw was even a thing until fairly recently, but now I can easily find it near the packaged salads, lettuce, and cole slaw mix at the grocery store. If you just can’t find it go ahead and chop up your own broccoli and carrots into thin but crunchy strips.
If you’re one of those people who spends their lunch hour out walking or going to the gym, this makes the perfect hand-held lunch to eat at your desk. Add a few baby carrots, thinly sliced radishes, or a serving of fruit to round out the meal.
What’s your favorite healthy sandwich?
Are you following along on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, and Instagram? If those aren’t your thing you can subscribe to The Live-In Kitchen to have new posts delivered straight to your email.
White Bean Hummus and Veggie Wrap
- 1 can reduced sodium Great Northern beans, , rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, , pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole grain tortillas or sandwich wraps, , such as Smart and Delicious Multigrain Wraps
- 1 cup torn kale leaves
- 1 small package broccoli slaw
- 16 grape tomatoes, , halved
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, dill, chives, and salt. With the motor running, stream in olive oil and process until smooth.
- Spread hummus over each tortilla and top with kale, broccoli slaw, and tomatoes. Wrap up like a burrito by folding up the bottom, folding in the sides, and then rolling tightly.