This Tropical Green Smoothie boast tons of nutrients and a sweet tropical fruit flavor.
I feel like I’m letting myself down a little bit.
I’ve taken a pretty hard stance against smoothies in the last few years. The texture, the flavor, it’s not for me, I’d say. Just eat the veggies! Chew them, swallow them, you can do it.
I had been struggling with what to feed my kids for lunch instead of peanut butter and jelly every day, and a friend of mine suggested smoothies and popcorn. My kids love popcorn, so I figured I’d at least hit the mark at 50%. So I gave it a try and you know what?
My kids are drinking vegetables.
They even like to dip the popcorn into the smoothie and eat it. I’m completely blown away. Now don’t get me wrong, one or two of them still eat only a couple bites and then pretend they’re full, but I’m still hitting the mark at 50% in a way I didn’t think possible.
These Tropical Green Smoothies get tons of nutrients from the lettuce, spinach, flax, and fruit. I added half a scoop of protein powder (<– affiliate link to the one I used) to keep the taste concealed and keep the kids full longer. This recipe makes enough for two adult sized smoothies or four smaller portions.
Tropical Green Smoothies can be easily customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Freeze the smoothies in popsicles molds for a healthy, icy snack
- Use whatever leave greens you have on hand in roughly the same quantities as the spinach and lettuce
- Increase the protein powder to one scoop for even more protein
- Use coconut water or almond milk in place of the water
- Omit the protein powder and flaxseed meal for an inexpensive, easy smoothie that still boasts a lot of nutrition
If you make this smoothie, be sure to rate it, leave a comment, and tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Tropical Green Smoothie
- 1 ½ cups frozen mango
- 1 ½ cups frozen pineapple
- 1 heart of romaine
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 banana
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- ½ scoop plant based protein powder
- In a high powered blender, add all ingredients in the order listed. Blend on high until smooth, stopping the blender to stir as necessary. If it has trouble blending add additional water a little at a time until the desired consistency is reached.