Homemade pico de gallo with avocado will be your new favorite salsa recipe! Fresh veggies like tomato, onion, jalapeño, and avocado are mixed with lime juice to make the freshest Mexican dip.
I’m just going to say it – the only way to make pico de gallo better is by adding avocado.
Pico de gallo, also known as salsa fresca, literally means “rooster’s beak”. Don’t ask me why, there’s definitely no rooster in this classic Mexican recipe. There is, however, a hefty addition of avocado because if you’re eating something that calls for salsa, you’re probably going to want some avocado to go with it.
Pico de gallo is my go-to whenever I’m out ordering a burrito bowl or other Mexican dish. It is full of fresh veggies and bright flavors.
What is pico de gallo?
Pico de gallo is a fresh salsa made of chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapeño, cilantro, salt, and lime juice.
It can really help brighten up heavier meals like vegetarian enchiladas or black bean and butternut squash quesadillas. Today we’re adding in some ripe avocado because obviously avocados are the best!
How to make pico de gallo
- Chop the tomato, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and avocado
- Combine them in a bowl
- Add salt and lime juice to taste
With the addition of avocado I don’t recommend letting your pico de gallo sit around too long, although a little time covered in the refrigerator can help the flavors come together. If you want to prevent your avocado from turning brown, I recommend going heavy on the lime juice or adding one tablespoon of olive oil to the mix.
This pico de gallo with avocado can be customized! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Use lemon in place of the lime
- Include jalapeño ribs and seeds if you like things spicy
- Leave out the avocado for a classic homemade pico de gallo
- Add one clove of chopped garlic for extra zing
- Serve over huevos rancheros
Looking for more fresh Mexican dip recipes?
If you make this recipe be sure to rate it, leave a comment, or tag #theliveinkitchen on Instagram!
Pico de Gallo with Avocado
- 2 ripe Haas avocados cubed
- 4 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil optional
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir gently to combine. Adjust salt and lime juice to taste.